Friday, October 4, 2013

New York

Order in which state was run: 20



Order in which state was admitted into the union: 11





Emblazoned on a dark blue field is the state coat of arms. The goddess Liberty holds a pole with a Liberty Cap on top. Liberty stands for freedom. At her feet is a discarded crown, representing freedom from England at the end of the revolutionary war. On the right is the goddess, Justice. She wears a blindfold and carries the scales of justice. Meaning that everyone receives equal treatment under the law. The state motto "Excelsior" on a white ribbon expresses the idea of reaching upward to higher goals. On the shield a sun rises over the Hudson highlands and ships sail the Hudson river. Above the shield is an eagle resting on a globe representing the Western Hemisphere.

 


Date: November 5, 2006
Race: ING New York City Marathon
City: New York City
Cost: $134.00
 



 
Date: March 20, 2011
Race: NYC Half Marathon
City: New York City
Cost: $104.00


 





New York was originally scheduled to be my 7th state in 2004.  I successfully entered the lottery in 2004 but ended up deferring 2 years to 2006 due to illness in 2004 and then Hurricane Katrina in 2005. 

I actually made the trip to NYC in 2005 and volunteered at the start area so was very familiar with the start setup when I ran the race in 2006.  In 2011 I decided to return to NYC to run the half as it was questionable whether marathons qualified for my half goal in every state.  Also I wanted to visit NYC again.  That's the main reason for the return.  It was nice running a double loop of Central Park to start the half.  The full finished in Central Park and I thought CP went on forever and had mountains.

In 2006 I stayed at the host hotel for the marathon.  I was quite surprised to share an elevator back up to my room post race with the winner of the marathon.  I also was able to see the then reigning Olympic gold medalist, Italian Stefano Baldini doing a last minute workout in Central Park the day before the marathon.

 
Brazil's dos Santos 2006 marathon winner
 
Up next: Nevada

No comments: