Friday, September 27, 2013

Maine

Order in which state was run: 19



Order in which state was admitted into the union: 23

 


The state coat of arms is placed on a blue field. In the center of the shield a moose rests under a tall pine tree. A farmer and seaman represents the work that people did in early times. The North Star represents the state motto:
"Dirigo" ("I Direct"). Flag adopted 1909.


 
 

 

Date: October 1, 2006
Race: Sportshoe Center Half Marathon
City: Portland
Cost: $28.00
 
Maine was the second leg of my first back to back half marathon 2 state weekend.  While Applefest in Hollis, NH the previous day was chilly and sunny, the weather in Portland from start to finish of the half marathon was chilly, overcast, and misty.  I think this is the first race that I discovered that weather in the 40s with no sun was my ideal running weather.
 
I remember running the first mile slow just to make sure that everything was fine after running a half marathon the day before.  I quickly loosened up and just ran what felt like a good pace.  I ended up running a PR that day.
 
After the race, I took a shower at the finish area (a college campus I believe) and headed back to Logan airport in Boston to return the rental car.  I then took the T to Boston's Backbay area for the night.  I was able to catch the IMAX film "Wired to Win: Surviving the Tour de France" at a Boston museum.   I first learned of the film earlier in 2006 in Kansas City while in town for the Hospital Hill half marathon.  However, the film in KC was broken so I was unable to view it then.
 
 

Up next: New York

No comments: