Wednesday, July 24, 2013

North Carolina

Order in which state was run: 10



Order in which state was admitted into the union: 12



That the flag of North Carolina shall consist of a blue union, containing in the center thereof a white star with the letter N in gilt on the left and the letter C in gilt on the right of said star, the circle containing the same to be one-third the width of the union. The fly of the flag shall consist of two equally proportioned bars; the upper bar to be red, the lower bar to be white; that the length of the bars horizontally shall be equal to the perpendicular length of the union, and the total length of the flag shall be one-third more than its width. That above the star in the center of the union there shall be a gilt scroll in semi-circular form, containing in black letters this inscription "May 20th, 1775," and that below the star there shall be a similar scroll containing in black letters the inscription: "April 12th, 1776."


Date: November 13, 2005
Race: Fox 26 Balttleship North Carolina Half Marathon
City: Wilmington
Cost: $50.56
 
As I mentioned in my California recap, San Francisco was the last race that i flew out of New Orleans prior to Hurricane Katrina in August 2005.  I ran San Francisco as part of my training for what was supposed to be my second marathon in New York City the week before Battleship NC. 
 
Even with Katrina totally disrupting my life, I somehow managed to continue marathon training.  A few weeks after Katrina, my new home town of Houston was hit by Hurricane Rita.  At that point, my traning fell off for a while.  When I got back into training, I developed strep and took that as a sign that I would postpone NYC to 2006.  I had already deferred my 2004 NYC marathon entry to 2005.  As I was already in half shape, I signed up for NC as a substitute race.
 
Battleship NC featured a pre race pasta dinner on board the battleship with ship tours.  Otherwise, it was a small well organized race with hills that kicked this flatlander's butt!
 

Up next: Arizona

No comments: