Thursday, July 4, 2013

Kentucky

Order in which state was run: 7


Order in which state was admitted into the union: 15


Placed on a navy blue field is the seal and words "Commonwealth of Kentucky". The two people on the seal, a pioneer and a statesman, represent all the people. They are acting out the meaning of Kentucky's motto: "United We Stand; Divided We Fall". Sprays of goldenrod extend in a half circle around the picture.

Seven states into my running all 50 states and I've already run in my second of four Commonwealth states.  Halfway done with the Commonwealth Challenge!

Date: April 30, 2005
Race Derby Festival
City: Louisville
Cost: $39.90

Kentucky can be quite chilly at the end of April.  I arrived the day before the race to rain and cool weather conditions.  After picking up my race packet, I opted to stay in and not venture out to the Louisville Slugger Museum as the weather was truly nasty.

Rain cleared overnight and after a chilly start the day was great for running.  The race course passed right by Churchill Downs, the home of the Kentucky Derby.  I believe a loop was added around the track the next year. 




Up next: Vermont



No comments: