Friday, July 19, 2013

California

Order in which state was run: 9


Order in which state was admitted into the union: 31


Historic Bear Flag raised at Sonoma on June 14, 1846, by a group of American settlers in revolt against Mexican rule. The flag was designed by William Todd on a piece of new unbleached cotton. The star imitated the lone star of Texas. A grizzly bear represented the many bears seen in the state. The word, "California Republic" was placed beneath the star and bear. It was adopted by the 1911 State Legislature as the State Flag.


California is one of a few states that I ran multiple races of half or longer distance.  Both races that I ran in California were run while traveling with others unlike many state runs where I made solo trips.

Date: July 31, 2005
Race: San Francisco Half Marathon
City: San Francisco
Cost: $65.47
San Francisco was a trip that I made with my son.  He was working in the Ritz Carlton's spa in New Orleans so we were able to spend a long weekend at the San Francisco Ritz on the top of a steep hill near Chinatown.  This was his first half distance race.
San Francisco was also the last race where my travel would originate from New Orleans.  Little did I know that in less than a month I would be living in Texas post a little storm named Katrina.  I would end up becoming a Texas resident for a few years before calling Louisiana home again.

San Francisco was also the first race where I received a dri fit non cotton type of race shirt.  Nowadays clearly more than half of shirts given by races are of the dri fit variery but you just have to go back to 2005 when dri fit race shirts were rare.

 
Dwayne and I post race




Date: September 5, 2010
Race: Disneyland Half Marathon
City: Anaheim
Cost: $107.00

I ran Disneyland in the same year that I ran the Goofy Marathon and Half Marathon in Orlando in order to claim a Disney Coast to Coast medal.  Three other members of the Chupacabra Running Club earned C2C as well.


Up next: North Carolina



No comments: