Friday, November 1, 2013

Idaho

Order in which state was run: 24


Order in which state was admitted into the union: 43



A silk flag, blue field, five feet six inches fly, and four feet four inches on pike, bordered with gilt fringe two and one-half inches in width, with state seal of Idaho twenty-one inches in diameter, in colors, in the center of a blue field. The woman represents liberty, justice and equality. The man is a miner. The pictures on the shield represent the main industries of forestry, farming and mining. The cornucopias, or horn of plenty are symbols of abundance. The elks head represents wildlife. Esto perpetua (Let it be perpetual). The words "State of Idaho" are embroidered in with block letters, two inches in height on a red band three inches in width by twenty-nine inches in length, the band being in gold and placed about eight and one-half inches from the lower border of fringe and parallel with the same. Flag adopted 1907.

 


Date: April 21, 2007
Race: Race to Robie Creek
City: Boise
Cost: $38.02
 
A Running Times article on several interesting half marathons around the country was the source for many of the initial/top 25 states that I ran.  Race to Robie Creek was one of those races.  I believe it fell into the category of toughest course...... 8 miles up a mountain and then a fast 5 miles down the mountain to a festive post race finish in a local park.
 
Given the limited size of the post race finish area, the field was small.  Fingers needed to be in peak performance the day race registration opened as slots were filled on a first come first served basis.  The server was on crash status the entire opening day.... sorta like Obamacare is these days!  After hours of attempting to enter the site and successfully complete registration, I entered.  However, the serves crashed before I received my confirmation.  So I wasn't totally certain that I was registered unitl my credit card charge came through later that week.
 
Race weekend was my fifth consecutive week of weekend travels.  It started with ING Georgia half and was followed by a wedding, Easter and another wedding.  At some point in my travels, I came down with a major head cold race weekend.  I learned about Earplanes, the devices you wear in your ears to keep stuff open while flying to keep your head from exploding.
 
Race logistics weren't exactly inviting for solo travelers as the available parking was at a lot away from both the start and finish areas.  A shuttle was provided from the finish to the parking but runners were on their own to furnish parking lot transportation to the start. 
 
I woke up race morning not feeling like running a half marathon.  I remember sitting in the hotel thinking to myself that if I didn't run the race I would have to return to Idaho.  Nothing personal against Idaho, but that thought got me out the door with my cellphone and a taxi phone number in hand.  Runners are a friendly bunch and I was able to get a ride to the start from a local that had a ride to the start. 
 
The race was as difficult as advertised; I ended up doing quite a bit of walking once the course incline got steep towards the mountain peak.  The last 5 miles were brisk and the race party seemed festive but with a head cold and not feeling well I caught an early shuttle back to my rental car.
 
I think it was after this race that travel fatigue set in and I established the goal of running state number 50 on my 50th birthday.
 


 

No finisher medal but an awesome light up button with the races theme.
 
Up next: Ohio

No comments: