Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Training Weeks 1-4 Recap

With less than 8 weeks to go now until my Rhode Island half marathon, I completed week 4 of training this past weekend.  Here's a week by week recap of my revised version of Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Intermediate Training Plan.

Week 1 began Monday, February 10th.  The Monday to Sunday week schedule called for the following workouts:

Monday: Strength
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 5x400 speedwork
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 3 miles
Sunday: 5 miles

Here's my actual week 1 workouts:
Monday: I dusted off my McMillan Runner's Core Routine DVD and did the easiest of the 3 workout options. 


With this being my first day of training I felt like I needed to do more so I also rowed for 10 minutes in my garage on the rowing machine:
 


Tuesday: I ran 3 miles in the neighborhood as scheduled.

Wednesday:  I opted to skip the speedwork session. 

Thursday: I ran 3 miles in the neighborhood as scheduled.  I forgot to wear my ACE knee bandage that I have been wearing on my left knee since I was diagnosed with a lateral meniscus tear last year.  I noticed I didn't have it on a few steps out the door but I felt fine so continued the run without it.  In the last mile I felt a little something in my knee; not pain necessarily but it was still not what I call normal.

Friday:  Rest days are good.

Saturday:  Knee still didn't feel right so I opted for 10 minutes on the rowing machine instead of the scheduled 3 mile run.

Sunday: I ran 5 miles on the Tammany Trace.  I ran a 2.5 mile out and back route.

Week 2 began Monday, February 17th. The Monday to Sunday week schedule called for the following workouts:

Monday: Strength
Tuesday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 30 minute tempo run
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 3 miles at race pace
Sunday: 6 miles

Here's my actual week 2 workouts:
Monday: McMillan DVD beginner workout
Tuesday:I ran 3 miles in the neighborhood as scheduled.
Wednesday: I realized at this point that there will be no speedwork sessions in this training as my knee is still recovering.  I rested.
Thursday and Friday:  Rest days. I drove to Baton Rouge both days and stayed with my almost 3 year old grandson who was home sick. 
Saturday: 10 minutes rowing
Sunday: 10 minutes rowing
Monday: I added an 8th workout day to week 2 and ran 6 miles in my neighborhood Monday evening.

Week 3 began Monday, February 24th. The Monday to Sunday week schedule called for the following workouts:

Monday: Strength
Tuesday: 3.5 miles
Wednesday: 6x400 speedwork
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 5K race

Here's my actual week 3 workouts:
Tuesday: McMillan DVD beginner workout
Wednesday: 10 minutes rowing
Thursday: 3.5 mile run in the neighborhood
Friday & Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 7 mile run on the Tammany Trace

Week 4 began Monday, March 3rd. The Monday to Sunday week schedule called for the following workouts:

Monday: Strength
Tuesday: 3.5 miles
Wednesday: 35 minute tempo run
Thursday: 3 miles
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 3 miles
Sunday: 7 miles

Here's my actual week 4 workouts:
Monday & Wednesday: Rest.  I stayed with my almost 3 year old grandtwins who were out of school for the Mardi Gras holiday.
Tuesday & Thursday: 10 minutes rowing
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 8 mile run on the Tammany Trace
Sunday: Rest

Weeks 1-4 Recap:
While I certainly am not following the training plan, I am training for this half marathon. 

No comments: