Friday, June 14, 2013

Virginia

Order in which state was run: 4
 
Order in which state was admitted into the union: 10


A deep blue field contains the seal of Virginia with the Latin motto "Sic Semper Tyrannis" - "Thus Always to Tyrants". Adopted in 1776. The two figures are acting out the meaning of the motto. Both are dressed as warriors. The woman, Virtue, represents Virginia. The man holding a scourge and chain shows that he is a tyrant. His fallen crown is nearby.
 
 

Race: Rock n Roll Half Marathon, Virginia Beach, VA August 31, 2003

The Rock n Roll Half Marathon in Virginia Beach was my 3rd state in which I participated in a race in 2003.  At the time, it was the most half marathons that I'd run within a year.  Today it looks like I was lolly gagging!

The half marathon was run on Labor Day weekend as part of an end of summer music festival.  Traveling from New Orleans I was expecting a break from the heat further up north.  That didn't happen.  It was actually warmer in Va Beach than it was in Nola that weekend.  Not good for running but definetely nice beach weather with bands performing all weekend on temporary stages set up on the beach.





Running both this race and the Country Music Half in Nashville earlier in the year earned me my first additional medal for completing two Elite events in the same year. 26.2 Musical Miles!

Up next: Alabama

No comments: