Saturday, January 25, 2014

2013 Year in Review

I've been averaging close to 1,000 miles per year running the past few years.  2013 started out with me running close to that amount logging 75 total miles.  In fact, the first quarter of 2013 had decent miles with me training 111 miles and racing 54 miles for a total of 165 miles.  The last 9 months of the year told a completely different story with me logging 27 training miles and 73 miles run in events.  All of the events were for races where I registered prior to finding out that I had a torn meniscus in my left knee.

2013 was a first for me in that I had 3 separate instances where I ran half marathons that fell on consecutive weekends.  I have run several half marathons back to back on the same weekend but never had races in one weekend after the other.  The interesting part of that pattern was that in all 3 instances there was a cool weather weekend and a warm weather weekend.

2013 brought me within 1 state of my 50 state half marathon challenge as I ran in South Dakota and then North Dakota on consecutive May weekends.

2013 also brought me 2 results within one race of PW's (Personal Worsts).  I ran 2 half marathons in October after having not run for 3 months.  Not a good sign for 2014 is that I ran the Louisiana half in January after running only 2 miles since October and finished worse than the October races.  My saving grace from obtaining PW's was the mountain out and back course that I ran in Wyoming at altitude.

The good news is that my knee is feeling much better and I actually plan to train for my next half marathon in Rhode Island in May.  I will be completing my 50th state on my 50th birthday and would like to wrap up the challenge with a decent time.

Good riddance 2013....here's to better days in 2014.

No comments: