Sunday, October 6, 2013

Picked up my Jazz Half race packet

Yesterday was satellite packet pickup for next weekend's Jazz Half in New Orleans.   Picking up my race packet was the closest thing I've done to running since a 2 mile run July 10th.  Jazz was one of five races that I registered for prior to learning of a tear in my lateral meniscus in my left knee earlier this year.  My plan is to run the 5 remaining races I've registered for and then hang up the running shoes for biking. 

2013 started off like most other years for me running wise.  In January I ran half marathons on consecutive weekends with no issues.  I ran a 1/2 marathon the first weekend in February that seemed more difficult than other races.  I've had good and bad running days so just chalked it up to a bad race day.  I did notice that my quad tendons around both my knees were sorer than usual post race.  My left knee started bothering me shortly after and I spent time resting trying to let whatever was ailing recover.

In May I ran half marathons on consecutive weekends in North and South Dakota.  Leading up to the races, I only ran 12 miles total in the 4 weeks leading up to the race.  After the races, I took six weeks off of running to attempt to heal again.  My attempted comeback in July was unsuccessful so I got an MRI and was diagnosed with a degenerative tear in my lateral mensicus.  Hearing "after 40 your body doesn't recover as well".....got to be frustrating with me.  

I went into my ortho consult against having surgery if possible.  I was told that I didn't have to have surgery but a 15 minute procedure could remove the scar tissue.  Over 2 months later and I'm still having the same issues with no running as I had earlier in the year.  I scheduled another consult for the Monday following Jazz and will hopefully get scheduled for surgery before year end.

Not being able to run has just been frustrating for me as running was my therapy to take out frustrations.  I never ran on a treadmill; I loved getting outside to run.  The Jazz Half benefits the Cancer Program at Childrens Hospital in New Orleans.  Picking up my packet yesterday I realized how grateful I am to have been able to run all these years.

I have a knee ace bandage that I plan on wearing Saturday and look forward to enjoying my time on the course.  WDSU will be airing the race live so I plan on setting the DVR and enjoying the program post race.  I was able to spot myself at last years event on TV!

No comments: