Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Gulf Coast Half Marathon - Louisiana Northshore

After not running for 3 months,  I ran my second half marathon in 8 days...... and survived!

I actually ran almost 30 seconds per mile faster than Jazz 1/2 the previous Saturday: 11:17 overall pace versus an 11:46 jazz pace.  Much cooler weather was a definite factor in the faster pace.  Another huge factor in the faster pace was the fact that my son ran the entire race with me as a training run for his 1/2 ironman distance event in a couple of weeks.  I was able to maintain a 10 minute per mile pace for the first 5 miles.  After that I ran between 11 and 13 minute paces with lots of walk breaks scattered in with my running.

This race was the second of five races that I had in my race que prior to my learning of my degenerative meniscus tear and my stopping training.  My three remaining races are 2 half marathons and a 10k all in the first half of 2014.  After that, I do not plan on running any additional races.  However, my performance the past 2 weekends has me confident that I could complete a Disneyland Paris 1/2 event if such event is organized.

 Half marathon number 75 done!
 Horrible pic of  my backside eating post race goodies.
 World's most useful race medal!
Waldog/Walmonster was too anxious for his morning walk to pose.

No comments: